Saturday, April 19, 2008

Heartfullness

Be the change you wish to see in the world- Gandhi

When I quiet my mind and listen to my heart I tap into greater peace and harmony. Getting out of my head into a more passionate areas provides me a sense of possibilities. Also, I become more grateful increasing my sense of grace and wonder. By seeing both the mystery and sacredness of all things I see past any despair so to find insight of the divine.

If I remember to focus on my heart I can overcome my past unhealthy patterns. My losses, humiliations and other defects just fall away. Becoming more heartfilled I can alter many of my unhelpful habits through practicing positive such feedback rituals as:

*greater awareness * meditative pauses * increased nature time * becoming still


It take tremendous personal effort to overcome my self judgment, shame, guilt. Awakening myself from my self destructive thinking by not identifying myself with these ill thoughts is transformative. Such derisive thinking harms me and my ego becomes further deluded.
My compassion lessens when I think too much. Many times such critical self analysis only sees what is wrong instead of what is right.

When if I cultivate my virtue I shift to finding greater truth. This is when I take inventory of my generous acts and how this brings happiness to others and myself. Such reflection provides me to further make a greater difference. Also this has a ripple effect in spreading compassion to more things. Just the simple act of sending my love out to all things is an amazing exercise and changes my energy field.

When I increase my loving kindness I transform my world. By paying attention to what is of benefit remembering this intention connects instead of separating me.

Cultivating compassion or heartfullness goes back thousands of years practiced by many wise spiritual teachers. For example the Buddha, taught various skillful ways to practice loving kindness. Skillful actions are about both virtue and discernment. The Buddha taught not just the ‘don’ts’ but the “do’s” of such positive standards as sympathy, reliability and genuine helpfulness.

Budhhist skillfullness is not just about avoiding bad consequences but about actively cultivating the good. The practice of brahma-vihara of good will requires close attention to the intentions of ones actions. The development of skillful mental states and purification of intention act to foster good kamma. Such cultivation brings about less remorse and anxiety. Also more virtue results in great joy as the results of increased generosity and acts of kindness. This in turn creates a healthier and more stable mind.

There are many ways we can be more mindfull by becoming more heartfull. This path is essential for us today if we wish to increase peace and joy in our life. Well being is tied to this art of compassion. Heartfullness is a vital treasure that nourishes our soul.

No comments: