Saturday, June 30, 2012

Rainbow After the Storm

There are many types of storms.  Physical, mental and other such difficult weather systems.  However there are rainbows after my soul endures emotional hurricanes and other such violent events.  Exploring my very being I find  pure awareness- and the radiance of that awareness is love.  Loving awareness is a profound rainbow after clouds have gone.

Buddhist teachings provides me some shelter from my storms. There a various rainbows called the divine abodes- or expressions of heart- loving-kindness, compassion, joy and equanimity.  These are also referred to as the four brahmavihara helping me find greater freedom, harmony and openness.  When I am mindfully present-- without judging, resisting or grasping then I can see clearly what has heart and meaning. 

My personal storm happens when I  become too self-absorbed, afraid, and attached.  I become identified by my smaller self since my love becomes conditional, covered over- I am no longer free to love in an openhearted way.  My storm strengthens with my fear based solidity of self. This is caused by my self-judgment, anger, despair and other behavior when I numb my heart.

When I can remember that my storm will pass proliferation of reactivity disappears   Instead of being driven by wanting, anxiety, restlessness, I find a rainbow. These four beautiful rays of light are loving-kindness, compassion, joy and equanimity.  Yes there are many weather systems I can experience whether I observe or judge them. However, when I  remember the divine abodes, these rainbows, get me through any emotional storm I encounter.

No comments: