Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Ethics of Truly Being

Living well for me is about treating people, places and things with care, and profound respect.  When I humbly remember not to bring harm to these things, I give myself an amazing gift of higher self-care.  My moral awareness is constantly observing my decisions and how they affect my world. When I experience the consequences of my actions, I can reflect upon what was skillful and how it brought benefits to the the things I value.  The key is an honest and open assessment on how well I am living by my core beliefs.  
 
Over the years I have been refining the way I live according to this life-intention to honor what matters deep in my heart.  It is a work in progress and I approach it with humility.  Such evaluation allows me to cultivate what I value most.  Wise moral development is paramount to my very well-being.

At any given moment I can seek alignment with more a wholesome way of being....  Can I honor a kind, humble and observant lifestyle with conscientious deeds and words?  Or do I choose to become self-absorbed and go forth with false values?

Specific people in my life have been my champions and I have emulated them over the years.   Generous, attentive, considerate, their examples have been powerful and inspired me to greater self-actualization.  However, on my journey there have been many detours and lessons reminding me to keep on course.   Remembering my difficult times has allowed me to review whatever does not best serve me.
  
One intention I attempt to live by is showing reverence to all things.  Whether it be a resource or a person, or even a place, I try to appreciate it for what it is.  I try to meet people where they are, without judgement.  And the same for myself.  I believe that what you plant, you harvest. In some mysterious way, this respectful perspective brings me what I call “happy returns.”  I have rituals to express symbolically my compassion for the world, and they help me discover what is kind and caring in every situation that arises.

When I forget to be in this mindset, I find my life losing meaning and I become emotionally diverted.  My ethical synthesis is about resolving what is profoundly true for me.  Listening in stillness, I contemplate what matters deep in my soul.  Also I am learning to focus on my actions: I can only demonstrate through my own deeds.  With each choice, I am responsible for creating heaven or hell for every cell of my being.

I am careful regarding language, since there are many definitions and concepts to do with such words as “moral” and “ethics.”  Being ethical for me is really a form of counting my blessings.  The things I treasure, in return, bring treasure to me.  Whether I am reading, listening and/or contemplating, I try to nourish my gratitude... love, be loved, and show self-care that expands into a sense of service to all the things that matter.  Well-being and ethical being are one and the same.

No comments: