Monday, November 23, 2009

Courage,Respect, Wisdom, Love & Acceptance: Culitivating My Higher Self

Yesterday I attended a transformational workshop. A group of friends brought together in a sacred circle had to relate to the following words: courage, respect, wisdom with love, and acceptance. I welcome you to experiment what each of these words meas for you and then see how they interconnect. Also this exercise teaches me about the dual nature of my thoughts, notions and actions and their cause and effects and affects.

Courage to listen to and follow my heart is my life challenge. Quieting my doubting and harsh judging mind requires a bold intention not to fall back in my old unskillful patterns. When I remember that my crazy thoughts do not define me but are just crazy thoughts. If I awake up to see that I am not my fearful thoughts I cleanse my soul from these deamons that so grip me. As I cultivate courage I become more mindful of all my fear-based thoughts, emotions and actions. Also I begin to explore more skillful ways I can be open hearted.

Respect for me was to see the reverence in all things and make good boundaries so that do not reject my higher self. Also respect is about empathy and observing where people and beings are so not to cause them alarm or harm. Ultimately this comes to self-respect since whatever action we have upon others it will eventually come back to oneself. Examining the nature of reality and how I delude my self is a lesson in respect. Honoring what is I find deeper respect to go forth.

The love of wisdom is called philosophy. However passionate ideas without corresponding compassionate deeds truly embodies wise love. Wisdom for me is about concentrating on a profound intention and love then is paying attention to this insight with a boundless heart. Wisdom for me is about what simply benefits and is best to do in any given circumstance. Sometimes doing nothing is very wise.

When I remember to focus on emptying my mind to only what has meaning and heart is another path to loving wisely or wisely loving.

Finally acceptance is one of life's most important quest. The path of acceptance is a gateway to my freedom. What I can and not control and profound insight over my control issues leads me to a more accepting way.

The Buddha, said that all things are unconditional or impermanent and his last word were , "Conditioned things are perishable; with vigilance strive to succeed."

Acceptance becomes more vivid for me when I see that everything rises and and falls, it all passes. This does not mean I do not try to change things or accept them as they are. It is about me exploring whether my decisions show courage, respect, love, and wisdom with my circumstances. I accept the mystery of life when I observe the universal law of the universe, however, I must listen to what spirit tells me. The grey area is that acceptance is exploring the razor's edge of what I can and unable to do. Letting go and not trying to take control but see what self-control I have.

My direct experience gives me my best wisdom of what works and what does not. If we do not venture out then I will not know what comes next given my decision. Acceptance for me is that I know myself and my circumstance then I must have no expectations about my outcome if I take a new approach to what I am exploring. I accept there are the known and unknown depending upon my curiosity to find out. I may not like what happens but the sooner I accept what is and what I chose to do the happier my life becomes.

We live a constant state of change. Whether I have courage or fear, respect or disrespect, wisdom or ignorance, love or hate and acceptance or rejection all these mind states come and go. As I find greater harmony and peace, I behold a higher self. When I exercise courage, respect, wisdom, love and acceptance I nurture this finer sense of being.

No comments: